Friday, March 19, 2010

Pottery Marks of Prince Edward Island - Jeeves Pottery

Potter, Barry Jeeves along with his wife Joan, an accomplished weaver, arrived on PEI from Banff, Alberta in the early 1970's, so that Barry could accept employment with what was then called the Handcraft Training Centre and eventually became Holland College School of Visual Arts.

Barry was a graduate of the Ontario College of Art in Toronto and Sir George Williams College of Art, Montreal.

The family purchased property, and built their home and studios on the Brackley Point Road, with a retail shop for the summer tourist trade, and Barry teaching pottery during the school year.

When MS kept Barry from working full time, he continued to teach part-time and had a major influence on arts education in Prince Edward Island. When he became confined to a wheelchair he continued to focus his attention on an art form that required less physical ability. He returned to his painting, and would locate buildings which had both an elevator and a view so that he could paint urban scenes from new perspectives.

Both Barry and Joan maintained an active interest in the Arts. His art work was represented in Charlottetown by Details Past and Present Fine Art and Antiques.

Barry used a potter's mark a stamp with the mark "Jeeves P.E.I." he also used a signature "Jeeves PEI".



From the collection of Tom Banks
From the collection of Tom Banks

From the collection of Tom Banks

From the collection of Tom Banks




On May 10, 2015, Barry died. He was a true builder and left an enduring influence on the development of craft as a viable art form on Prince Edward Island. When he arrived he was one of only a few professional craftspeople on the Island; now, his adopted island has become known as a hot bed of fine craft and young artisans are able to pursue their craft at a professional level.

Barry Jeeves' favorite poem:
The fog comes
on little cat feet.
It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.
Carl Sagan

4 comments:

Louise said...

I took an art course at UPEI with Hilda Woolnough who took the class on several excursions. One was to a potters studio and I went "home" to my student digs and painted my impressions of this potter. I think it was Barry Jeeves.

Unknown said...

I'm the proud daughter of my Dad, Barry Jeeves, and love seeing your collection. I'm envious of the candle snuffer! That is a rare piece. Thank you for writing about Dad. Best, Trilby Jeeves

Unknown said...

Hi Trilby Jeeves,
My name is Lynette (Tetzlaff) Harder. I was an exchange student with you many many years ago! I don't know if you remember me. My husband, Rick, and I will be in PEI in September. I had fond memories of you, your parents, your beautiful home, and studio. I was happy to find the information about Jeeves. I was sorry to read that your dad has passed; I'm sorry for your loss. It would be fun to catch up. I hope you are well.
Please feel free to email me at: lynettekharder@gmail.com

Vickie said...

I painted with Barry often at the School of Visual Arts in the late '80s. He was a great painter, potter and friend.
Encouraged me to paint and taught me so much. I have a few of his pottery pieces which I cherish. Nice to see some information here about him.
Vickie MacCarville, PEI

Jaiden Carragher Pottery, PEI

Jaiden Carragher has the following accounts for her pottery work: Instagram account - The Spacey Artist Facebook account - The Spacey Artist...